.

Tuesday, August 03, 2010

The Garlic Pesto Sauce


First of all regardless of what's happening in the current world... let me greet first my Mom a...

Happy Birthday!


It's gloomy and raining very often here in Saigon because fall has finally arrived. This is the season where we all need some pillow or human cuddle. Aside from the cuddle it's also nice to eat some good food at your wooden table with your bare foot while watching the raindrops on your windowpane. Even before the rainy season came, I did my own preparation by stocking up some jars or pesto basil and ginger peanut oil. These are my two staples inside my fridge that whenever the lazy weather attacks, I just have my 911 jars that will save either my pasta noodles or my meat.


Rainy season is my favorite season of the year that's why my weekends are just preoccupied by DVD, eating & painting. I have several paintings to finish in time for my exhibition end of August so the weather we are having here in Saigon is just perfect for me to devote my time painting. I just alternate the 3 things during the weekend and I realized that I enjoy being a hermit in my own cave. I just have to make sure that the paintings I am cooking up will be good enough to satisfy my guests. I am pretty much excited with my solo exhibit so I am kinda busy with a lot of extra curricular stuffs lately. But I do enjoy what I am doing in spite of the many things that keep bugging my mind before I sleep. So for now, allow me to share my own version of pesto sauce although I just bought my basil leaves from the supermarket and they seem fine I think. I promised my self to grow my own herbs specifically basil but I still haven't find time doing it. My procrastination on that matter is still on.



GARLIC PESTO SAUCE


Ingredients:

• Basil leaves (80% of the leaves)
• Corriander leaves (20% of the leaves)
• Garlic (minced)
• Olive Oil
• Pine Nuts
• Salt & Pepper
• Apple Cider Vinegar
• Yoghurt
• Butter (of course)

NOTE: I did the manual chopping but if you have a food processor you are very welcome to use it :)

Procedure:

Chop the Basil and Corriander leaves and sprinkle with some apple cider vinegar then set aside. Peel the garlic and mince finely. Heat the pan in medium temperature then roast the pine nuts then remove from pan and chop it finely. Use the same pan under medium heat then melt little butter then add the minced garlic and pine nuts. Add some olive oil then put the Corriander and Basil leaves and stir it then add a little yoghurt. Continue mixing then add some more olive oil if necessary. Have a dash of salt and pepper to taste.

Serve it with either pasta or meat dishes...

hugs,
joanie xxx

7 comments:

Debbie Martin said...

You can grow your own herbs soon. In the meantime you can order some herbs and spices from this site:

www.herbies.com.au

Mr. PINKMOON said...

Belated Happy Birthday to your MOM..
Looking forward seeing you home :)

Anonymous said...

I love pesto. Simple and delicious! love the touch of garlic in yours :)

Mami said...

Happy Birthday to your mom!
I found you through my favorite food blog 101cookbooks and I am amazed by the look of that garlic pesto! I think it is more then a twist to the garlic pesto I am used to and I will definitely try making it while the basil is still in season!

Joanie said...

DEBBIE, when I go to Oz I will definitely order online

PINKMOON, Salamat!

ELLIE, the garlic is the unique punch!

MAMI, Thanks for the greet and for visiting my blog. 101cookbooks is also my favorite :D

Anonymous said...

I am lucky today to have stumbled on your Octoberfest post thing. I'd like to assume, I am the Melbourne dude who plays the harmonica player whom you talked to years ago in a closed convenience store in Toorak Road. That was late night mate!

So happy to read your blog and to get know u. Makes me believe in fate somehow. When you go back to Melbourne I'd love to bring you to any Darrel Lea close to where I live and I hoard all the coconut marshies for you. You addict! lol!

My name is Johnathan. Half Italian and Half Irish decent. But definitely an Aussie!

G'day sweetie ;)

Joanie said...

Hi Jonathan... haven't replied since you post this comment. Wow!!!! how amazing it is that u figured out that it was you in my post. Drop me an email...

Life is exciting and full of surprise :D